Master Insurance Program

Optional Coverages

Liquor Liability, Lost Key, Art Shows/Exhibits, Loss of Income


Provides $1,000,000 limit of liability for the entity as well as the entity's employees or volunteers (not outside caterers, etc.) engaged in the SELLING or SERVING of alcoholic beverages. The acquisition of the necessary State permit is necessary BEFORE the liquor liability insurance coverage can be obtained. The premium is $110 per event . Please refer to the Ohio Liquor Law and Procedures For Obtaining Liquor Permits and Liability Insurance section for a detailed explanation of procedures for obtaining permits as well as liquor liability insurance.

Should the insured parish or institution be involved in more than infrequent sales or serving of alcoholic beverages (i.e. hall rental/catering businesses operated by and for the benefit of the insured), please contact the Diocesan Property/Casualty Insurance Office for annualized coverage and rates.


If building master keys are lost or stolen, this coverage will provide up to $2,000 for the cost of keys, adjustments of locks to accept new keys, or (if required) new locks including the cost of their installation. There is no deductible applicable for this coverage. The additional premium is $100 .


The master policy automatically provides $50,000 legal liability for this exposure. This coverage will expand your primary coverage to respond, regardless of fault or legal liability. Contact the Diocesan Property/Casualty Insurance Office for premium pricing information.


Schools, colleges, and universities insured in the Diocesan Master Insurance Program are protected against loss of tuition fee income through the school interruption endorsement in the property section of the policy. Locations which have hall rentals, dwelling rentals, retreat house fees, or other means of income would suffer a substantial loss if this particular income were interrupted due to a fire or other peril insured against in the policy. Loss of income/rents coverage would pay for the loss of business income sustained due to the necessary suspension of your operations during the period of restoration. The additional premium for this coverage can be obtained by calling the Diocesan Property/Casualty Insurance Office.

Special Events Liability Coverage

It is the policy of the Diocese of Cleveland that all parishes, schools, and institutions allowing either individuals or families to rent or use their facilities for various one-time "special events" require liability insurance protection. These individuals have the opportunity to purchase Special Events Liability Insurance through the Diocesan Master Insurance Program at their expense. Special Event insurance is NOT available for athletic events, including the rental of facilities for athletic practice.  The sponsor lessee must provide their own coverage, specifically endorsed to cover liability for injury to the athletes.

However, for most family events in lieu of purchasing Special Event Liability thru the Diocesan Master Insurance Program, evidence that the individual or family has homeowners or renters liability with a limit of at least $500,000 will be acceptable. Evidence in the form of a Certificate or copy of the policy Declarations showing limit along with a description of the event can be faxed to the Diocesan Master Insurance Program at 216-367-1829 for approval.

All Special Event rentals require a written contract be executed between the persons renting the facility and your location. This agreement should include necessary hold harmless language to protect your entity and the Diocese. Please contact Attorney Kevin Burke in the Diocesan Legal Office for assistance with all your property/facility rental contracts.

Special Events Liability Insurance provides first line protection for both the one-time user of the facility as well as the parish or institution. It is intended to provide primary insurance protection thereby limiting financial exposure to the Diocesan Master Insurance Program. ** PLEASE NOTE: This Special Events Liability Insurance is NOT intended to provide coverage for any amusement ride company, independent contractor, commercial venture, events where liquor is sold or an admission is charged and liquor is provided, or where any person/entity is engaged in a long-term property or facility lease-rental agreement with your location and/or the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland. These situations necessitate different property/liability insurance requirements and are handled separately through the Diocesan Finance Office

Special Events Liability Insurance is administered directly through the Diocesan Master Insurance Program. The following terms and conditions apply to the policy wording:

  • Comprehensive General Liability
  • $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence
  • Damage to Leased Property
  • $25,000 per occurrence
  • Host Liquor Liability (no sale or Admission charge)
  • Included
  • Bodily Injury Liability
  • Included
  • Property Damage Liability
  • Included

The premium is $135 per event for a policy period consisting of 24 hours (one calendar day). Weddings shall have a premium of $390.00.

Evidence of Personal Liability limits of at least $500,000 under Homeowners coverage can be substituted for most events.


Below is a list of suggested guidelines to follow in determining the need for Special Events Liability Insurance.

NON-SPONSORED events that REQUIRE special events coverage:

  • wedding receptions, bridal showers
  • retirement, birthday, anniversary parties
  • banquets
  • dances, miscellaneous private gatherings or parties

SPONSORED events where special events coverage is NOT REQUIRED :

  • parish or Diocesan meetings
  • parish festivals, parish bazaars, or parish dinners
  • parish plays, school open houses, etc.
  • parish affiliated group activities (ushers club, etc.)

ORGANIZATIONS endorsed but NOT sponsored by a parish or institution, may or may not require Special Events Insurance (discretion should be used) :

  • Alcoholics Anonymous, Al-Anon, etc.
  • Girls and Boys Scout troops

If you are uncertain in determining whether Special Events Liability Insurance coverage is required for a particular group/function scheduled to be held at your location, please contact the Diocesan Master Insurance Program or the Diocesan Property/Casualty Insurance Office for clarification.

Ohio Liquor Law and Procedures For Obtaining Liquor Permits and Liability Insurance


Ohio Law closely regulates the manufacture, distribution, and sale of alcohol by both individuals and organizations. Specifically with regard to nonprofit charitable organizations, Ohio law dictates the circumstances under which such organizations may sell or serve alcohol, when a liquor permit is required to do so (see below for an overview), and what restrictions are imposed upon such organizations when serving or selling alcohol (see below for an overview). If you have questions or uncertainty about what is or is not permitted under Ohio law, you should contact an attorney prior to proceeding with your event.


The Diocesan Master Insurance Program includes liquor liability coverage with a $1,000,000.00 limit of liability for parishes and insured organizations as well as their volunteers (although not outside caterers) for events hosted by, sponsored by, or taking place on the insured organization’s premises with its permission and where the Ohio Department of Commerce Division of Liquor Control does not require any permit for the event other than a temporary permit. For EACH event hosted or sponsored by an insured organization where a temporary liquor permit is required (see below for an explanation of when liquor permits are required), a copy of the liquor permit must to be sent to the Diocese five (5) days prior to the event and $110 will be charged. Please submit a copy of the liquor permit via email to Please do not send a check, your location will be billed $110.00 on your following regular monthly bill for each separate event.

If third parties are renting or using an insured organization’s facilities and serving alcohol, please see the Special Event Liability Coverage section, below, for further details. The liquor liability coverage described in this section does not cover third parties.

This liquor liability coverage through the Diocesan Master Insurance Program is available ONLY to the parishes and entities participating in the Diocesan Master Insurance Program for events held on their premises. Should you have questions, please call (216) 696-6525 or 1-800-869-6525, Extension 3400, Monday through Friday, between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.


Ohio law requires that nonprofit charitable organizations obtain a temporary liquor permit from the Ohio Department of Liquor Control under nearly all circumstances in which alcohol is served or sold. The only exception to the requirement to obtain a temporary permit is when the alcohol is served at a private function. According to the Ohio Attorney General’s office, to qualify as a private function, the event must possess all of the following characteristics:

  • It is a private function where access is restricted to invited guests (i.e. the event is by invitation only or is open only to a limited and definable class of persons);
  • Admission to and participation in the function is free of charge (i.e. no admission price, donation, or prepaid ticket/admission required); AND
  • No alcoholic beverages are sold (i.e. alcohol is not in any way sold to or paid for by the invitees or attendees such as through a cover charge).

If a function does not have all of the above characteristics, a liquor permit and Liquor Liability Insurance must be obtained and all legal requirements observed relative to the sale and consumption of alcohol. It is important to note that if the organization hosting the function fails to restrict or control uninvited guests from attending, the event may be construed as being open to the public, and therefore one which requires a permit. Therefore, if you do not have procedures in place to ensure that uninvited guests will be excluded, you should obtain a liquor permit.


In addition to the requirements stated on the permit application form, which you should review carefully, a helpful summary of the requirements associated with Temporary Liquor Permits from the State of Ohio can be found here:

The three main permits used by nonprofit organizations are:

  • Beer only (F Permit). An F-Permit allows the holder to sell only beer, for a period of time not to exceed five days. Organizations must apply for an F-permit at least one month in advance of the event to ensure that the permit is received prior to the event. The fee for this permit is $40. Organizations are eligible to receive a maximum of two (2) F-Permits per month. Organizations should be aware that the sale of anything other than beer is illegal with this permit. In addition, all beer must be purchased only from a manufacturer (brewer) or wholesale distributor. (Ohio Revised Code 4303.20).
  • Wine only (F-6 Permit). An F-6 Permit allows the holder to sell wine-only for a period of time not to exceed seventy-two hours at an event organized and conducted by and for the benefit of the organization and located in an area that has been voted wet through local option for such beverages. Applications should be sent in at least one month prior to the scheduled event. The fee for this permit is $50.00. Organizations are eligible to receive a maximum of six F-6 permits per calendar year. While wine must ordinarily be purchased from a wholesale distributor, the holder of an F-6 permit may also obtain wine by donation from a manufacturer, supplier, or wholesale distributor of wine or from any person who is not the holder of a permit issued by the division of liquor control. Organizations should be aware that the sale of anything other than wine is illegal with this permit. (Ohio Rev. Code 4303.206).
  • Beer, wine, and liquor (F-2 Permit). An F-2 Permit allows the holder to sell beer, wine, mixed drinks, and liquor for a period of time not to exceed four consecutive days in an area that has been voted wet through local option for such beverages. As with the other permits, parishes should apply for an F-2 permit at least one month prior to the scheduled event. The fee for this permit is $150. Please note that organizations are only eligible to receive a maximum of one F-2 Permit per thirty-day period. Wine or mixed beverages must be purchased only from a wholesale distributor and spirituous liquor from a contract (state) liquor agency (Ohio Admin. Code 4301-3-01).

When applying for a temporary permit, your organization will be required to provide evidence of its non-profit, tax exempt, charitable status as part of the application process. In addition, both permit application forms require the signatures of both local law enforcement authorities and the owner of the real property on which the event is to be held (which can be the parish pastor/administrator for purposes of events held on parish property) . Such signatures provide evidence of their respective acknowledgment and consent to the sale of alcoholic beverages on the premises. Finally, the application must include a description, including a drawing, of the area (indoors or outdoors) where the alcoholic beverages will be consumed and how the area will be separated (Ohio Revised Code 4303.202 and Ohio Administrative Code 4301:1-1-34).

It is important to remember that any function sponsored by a parish group or ministry is considered a parish function. This is due to the fact that such groups are not legally distinct or separate from the parish. For example, if the parish women’s guild obtains an F-2 permit for a function in January, neither the parish nor any parish group could obtain another F-2 permit within 30 days of the issuance of the permit to the parish women’s guild.


In addition to requiring permits for non-private functions, the law limits and proscribes certain actions by an organization when serving alcohol pursuant to a permit. Among other things, parishes serving alcohol pursuant to a temporary permit should be aware of the following:

  • B.Y.O.B. events are prohibited (Ohio Revised Code §4301.62).
  • The temporary permit must be displayed conspicuously on the premises where the alcohol is to be dispensed (Ohio Administrative Code 4301:1-1-21).
  • “Two-for-one” specials, providing an unlimited number of servings of alcohol for a fixed price (e.g. “open bar”), or increasing volumes without proportionately increasing prices is generally prohibited (Ohio Admin. Code 4301:1-1-50). The holder of an F-6 permit only may charge an admission price that includes the consumption of wine or sale of wine by the individual drink (the entrance fee may include drinks or drinks may be sold individually). (Ohio Revised Code 4303.206).
  • No alcoholic beverage shall be given away with the purchase of merchandise or anything of value. An alcoholic beverage may be packaged with a nonalcoholic item without increasing the price of the alcoholic beverage. (Ohio Admin. Code 4301:1-1-46 D).
  • No alcohol may be sold or served to occupants of automobiles and “curb service” is prohibited (Ohio Admin. Code 4301:1-1-46).


Please do not call the Diocese for permit applications! To obtain temporary liquor permit applications you may do one of the following:

  • visit the Ohio Department of Commerce, Division of Liquor Control, on the web at: for additional information and an application form; or
  • call your local permit office or the State of Ohio - Division of Liquor Control, Permit Division, 6606 Tussing Road, Reynoldsburg, Ohio 43068, Telephone: (614) 644-2431, Fax: (614) 644-3166, to request an application be mailed to you.


Pursuant to Ohio law, tax exempt charitable organizations may conduct certain fund raising gambling activities as allowed by Ohio Revised Code § 2915. Additionally, it is generally permissible to have charitable gambling and the sale of alcohol at the same event. It should be noted, however, that OHIO LAW STRICTLY PROHIBITS THE HOLDER OF A LIQUOR PERMIT FROM SELLING OR SERVING BEER OR INTOXICATING LIQUOR OR PERMITTING BEER OR INTOXICATING LIQUOR TO BE CONSUMED OR SEEN IN THE SAME LOCATION IN ITS PREMISES WHERE A TRADITIONAL BINGO GAME IS BEING HELD (Ohio Admin. Code 4301: 1-1-53).

Resident Trust Surety Bond

Section 3721.15 of the Ohio Revised Code requires any nursing home or residential facility that manages the financial affairs of its residents to purchase a surety bond or otherwise provide assurances to the Director of the State of Ohio Department Human Services to insure the security of all resident funds.


A facility may purchase a surety bond in the full amount of resident funds deposited with the facility. The issuer of this bond must be licensed and approved to do business in the State of Ohio. the The Diocesan Master Insurance Program can provide this surety bond for your location. The bond premium is $10 for every $1,000 of deposited resident funds. An application must be completed and submitted along with your location's latest annual corporate financial statement. Please contact the Diocesan Master Insurance Program directly if this bond is desired.


Self-insurance and letters of credit are acceptable alternatives to a surety bond only if they meet the following criteria:

  • are set up in a separate bank account (other than the account wherein the resident funds are actually held) that has sufficient funds to cover the full amount of resident funds held;
  • the account should be identified as the "Surety or Security for Residents' Fund Account";
  • the nursing home or long-term care facility must forward to the Ohio Department of Human Services a copy of the account documents including the account number, along with a letter from the bank or financial institution where the account is held stating these funds will be used solely to pay for the loss of residents' funds; and
  • the funds should be payable to the Ohio Department of Human Services on behalf of the resident or residents.

All alternatives to a surety bond must be submitted to and approved by the Ohio Department of Human Services.


Revised 9/23